Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Wente Road Race

This past Saturday was the Wente Road Race. Considering my recent road racing disappointments my goals were modest; make the selection !

This course is not really suited for pure climbers but there is a generous amount of power climbing on each lap. The race started out hard with a sprint up the first climb to the start/finish as there were prices for the top 3 on the first go around. It really hurt to stay up near the leaders. Going into the next climb there was 10 of us away but as it was straight into a moderate headwind, there was no attempt to stay away and the race came back together. This scenario replayed on every climb for the next two laps, where 10-15 riders would go hard and get away only to stall in the headwinds and be brought back. Boring but predictable. I made sure to stay tucked in always and got in the lead group on the climbs.

I thought on the last lap (3rd) things might get interesting on the climbs but it was more of the same. The Cat 3s caught and passed us near the top and as the group came back together on the flats I figured it was going to be a group sprint up the last hill. Than something actually happened, going up the short riser on the way back to the start/finish we caught back up and started to pass the 3s ? In the confusion a group of 4 riders got away, damn ! At least 3 of the riders I had been marking during the race were in that group, damn ! damn ! I got up near the front and riders were looking at each other so I hit the gas to bridge. Nobody got on my wheel, good !, but it took a long time and a lot of effort to make it, but make it I did, great ! Well as soon as I got there my presence seemed to cause the group to shutdown, huh !

I think looking back on it if I had gone right to the front of the lead group and started pulling, maybe they would have continued to work together. No such luck so back together we go, than another attack goes with a Z-team rider and some really big Oakland ? rider. This stays away for a bit, and at this point I'm near the front taking some turns looking for another bridging opportunity, yeah I didn't like my chances in the uphill sprint :-) Nothing comes of this I'm burning some matches.

Just before the final climb the group catches the two leaders and we all go hard. I blow up about 1/2 up and roll in somewhere in the top 20. Overall a good race and one where I felt stronger as the race progressed.

0 comments: