Monday, April 6, 2009

Napa Valley Dirt Classic

Yesterday was my first mountain bike race in the expert class at the always fun Napa Valley Dirt Classic course. I had won this race in my sport class last year so I was looking forward to a good showing. I figured this time the pace would start out hotter, so my goal was to try to hang with the lead group and just survive.

The pace was fierce from the start and I was seventh wheel into the short single track section that comes 200 meters from the uphill start. The rider in front let a gap go and that was it for the lead group. After the short but brutal run-up we came into the long flat dirt sections into a fairly strong head wind. Luckily at this point I was in a group of 3 so I was able to keep out of the wind and get some drafting in. Staying with this group (first chase group) kept me close to my limit, at after the whoop de dos this group split. Fortunately the rider with kept a good pace up through the entire Manzanita single track section.

I kept up a good pace, remembering to eat and drink, all was good until we started the brutal back-end climbs. At this point the race came back together some as I was now in a group of 4 in my class. Unfortunately I didn't have the climbing legs at this point and I wasn't able to keep pace. I throw it all in after the climbs for a 5 minute time trial which really hurt !, to roll across 10th. I'm happy with my finish, but I feel like I'm a little behind in my training from last year.

It was a fun day as I was joined by teammates Anthony (who won his class !) and Antonio, along with fellow powder hound Todd. Thanks for an awesome days guys !

This should help with next weeks Nor Cal Classics Road race. Copperopolis !

0 comments: