Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Copperopolis

Lots of riders seem to live in fear of this race. I love it although I'm perennially disappointed in my result. This year would be no different.

Either as result of the "Lance" factor or a slow economy, maybe both, but the masters fields were twice as big as last year and most of the riders look super fit and ready to rumble. The race started much faster this year and I got gapped near the top of the first climb. I was able to chase back with a small group to rejoin the lead group or what I thought was the lead group. No one seemed to know how many riders were up the road or at least weren't saying ? It was hard to see as we were catching a large
group of 3s who were on their last lap.

Again on the 2nd lap I got gapped on the climb, this time there was no catching back on. I rode alone for a while until a group of 3 came up from behind. We worked
together around the last lap, i was able to get away from this group on the descent and rolled across for a mid-pack finish. I felt good at times but didn't have the top end to stay in it when it counted.

I need to put in more work to get competitive with the top guys but I feel like I'm making progress.

Here's a picture of Levi who raced in the pro field.

0 comments: