Monday, October 29, 2007

Howling Good Time




The pictures pretty much say it all. Yesterday's Halloween Surf City race was a blast.

I had a good race too, finishing 20th after flubbing the stage and starting in the last row, scary !

Report Details: I hit it hard at the gun and wound my way through and around a bunch of riders to get back it a decent position going into the first turn. On the first off camber grass section a DFL rider went down backing up the entire field behind him including me. Life in the pack on the first lap can suck ! Off we go again, I pass a rider on the first run up and another on the 2nd by staying off the bike and running the stretch between the two run ups. The DJ music is blaring (Surf City's got it going on !) when i hit the grass sections. I'm going w/ the lowest tire pressure I've ever raced w/ and its paying dividends as I'm rolling fast on the grass. I focus on the Sheila Moon rider a few riders up making sure to keep up w/ his pace, together we are catching and passing a rider per lap. I'm having a blast and before I know it there are two left to go, that was fast ! I'm right behind Sheila Moon w/ Geoff from Fusion up ahead. We both go by Geoff w/ one lap left on the start straight, we come up to another ride who is going really slow, maybe being lapped ? Somehow he gets between me and Sheila Moon on the barrier dismount and the trench run through. By the time I get around lapped rider Sheila Moon has gapped me and Geoff's on my wheel. I slowly reel Sheila Moon back and coming through the grass turns before the finish I'm on his wheel. We both sprint out of the last turn and he takes me by a wheel.

2 comments:

MemeandPapou said...

Bubbie said you were having a birthday party on sunday so we called but no one was around. We have been watching the world series and have to agree the Red sox deserved to win. Lara and Gregg really celebrated! Your Dad and I are going into the Halloween parade on Wed. The town awards prizes for best costumes and hands out candy to all the kids. We will call next weekend. Love,Mom

October 29, 2007 at 7:18 PM
Emily said...

Nice job Mark! I was sorry to have mised you.

What a great event! It looked like fun was had by all.

November 1, 2007 at 3:16 PM