Wednesday, October 10, 2007

BASP - Sierra Pt Speed/Rockway



This past Sunday was the opening round of the Bay Area Super Prestige cross seriousness at the Sierra Point speed/rock way.

Determined to improve on my starting position I got to the staging area early and lined up in the 2nd row. I was expecting a course official or and announcement for us to roll up to the line when all the sudden the group is off in a mad dash, and I end up staging in the last row, in the biggest field of the season to date. Ugh ! Gun goes off and we are off in a mad dash to the first dirt corner. I knew that it would stack so I dismounted early and made my way to the sides to end around the cluster f*Xk. Early race chaos followed, I'm running and juking, finally I'm back on the bike on the tail end of group of 10 riders. I get around a few as I see splits start to develop, i go a little too aggressively and wash out trying to pass two others. Back on the bike and a lap later mostly back to where I was before the crash, but now I've got to ease back to recover.



The next few laps I spend juking back and forth w/ my friend Geoff from Fusion and some other guy named Geoff based on the yells of the crowd. I'm still trying to keep in visual touch w/ the group ahead while holding off the two Geoffs (fun stuff !). I'm gaping them on the start/finish pavement section but they are catching back up on the corners, i've really become an insufferable roadie !. With two to go I hear some sort of commotion behind me and hammer to final lose these guys and try to catch some ahead, that works and I manage to pass up one of the original group of 10 that has splintered unrecognizably. I'm totally worked on the last lap and just holding on but no one can come around.



Wow a lot of work and drama for a mid-pack finish, but that why cross racing rules, you can still have a blast beating out the guys around you.

1 comments:

MemeandPapou said...

I read the Oct 9 posting and couldn't understand sxxt. However, the Oct 10 posting was interesting and sounded exciting.

Papou

October 11, 2007 at 2:09 PM