Monday, July 14, 2008

If it has a hill

I'll race it. This past weekend I had planned to race in the epic cross country mt bike race that is the Downieville Classic. Two epics in a single week would be too much so I stayed local and instead raced two races on the Coyote Creek Circuit instead.

This race is a circuit race which is basically a longer version of a criterium and usually has a hill. This course has a long gradual hill with the finish near the top. You've usually got a tail wind up the climb and a head wind on the flat.

The first race (open 4s) was fun and very well mannered, I had no trouble staying near the front, moving up at the top of the hill where needed. At one lap to go one of my teammates got stuck at the front so I went up to give him some cover. This turned out to be to much too close to the end, so I pulled the plug and rolled over the line w/o contesting the sprint.

Taking care not to repeat my mistake at Cat's Hill earlier in the season, I made sure to each lunch and stay in the shade as much as possible before my 2nd race. This race was not as well behaved as a few riders were very aggressive in trying move riders off a wheel. There was some pushing from a Penn Velo rider which is inexcusable imho. At 2 to go i was at the front, taking in some wind but holding an inside position. At 1 to go i was about at the same place, around the final corner i lost some position to be around 15th. About 1/2 up the hill the lead group sprints, I turn it up to follow looking for a good line on the right. The first surge starts to fade and i'm going hard but not really sprinting trying to make out where the finish is, is that it yes whoa push the bike forward and finish in 7th.

I think I could have done better if I hadn't waited a little too long to actually sprint, but I'm satisfied with a top ten.

Photo Finish:

Photo by Garret Lau

5 comments:

ADIG said...

Good job Mark!

July 14, 2008 at 4:45 PM
ADIG said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator. July 14, 2008 at 4:45 PM
ADIG said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator. July 14, 2008 at 4:46 PM
Emily said...

Nice! You're having quite the season this year Mark. And now I know what your secret to success is.

You'll be racing with the pros in no time.

July 18, 2008 at 3:50 PM
Mark M said...

Not on the Ricco program, just fast training rides ;-)

July 18, 2008 at 5:08 PM