Friday, April 4, 2008

Round and Round




After my debacle of the previous day where I barely lasted a 1/4 of the race while in the wind for most of that time, I was determined to "SIT IN" for the first 1/2 of this race. I started in the middle of the pack and managed to stayed tucked in until 8 laps to go. For once I was able to pull this off with a minimal amount of effort.

(That's not me in the picture by the way, but Uber pro Freddie Rodriguez)

8 laps to go and I moved up to the front. My hope was to get in a break as I didn't like my chances in the sprint considering the size of the most of the riders in the field. Honestly I felt like some Italian climber in a field of Northern European sprinters ! Breaks would form in two places; on the downhill left hand turn and sometimes about 3/4 the way up the hill. I made sure to be in everyone. I got in breaks w/ 5, 3, and finally 2, but none got very far. I came around the final hay bail turn in the top 15, but got boxed in as we passed the parked trailers. I avoided a near crash about 3/4 up the hill when one Bicycle Trip rider tried to push his teammate, they briefly collided and I was forced to slow, jeesh !

A fun race and my parents got to see me make a go off it so a good day.

1 comments:

Mark M said...

Turns out I finished 6th in my class, so I got my first upgrade point :-)

April 4, 2008 at 12:51 PM